There are so many benefits to walking…you can practically do it anywhere, you can make it as easy or as hard (hills, etc.) as you want, it’s mind clearing, and it’s cheap! So, get going with this 30-Day Walking Challenge!
Whether you are just looking to clear your head, recovering from an injury, just getting starting, or looking for something new walking is a great form of exercise!
We’re offering two options for this walking challenge! One is just a walking challenge without a mileage goal and one is a walking challenge with a mileage goal. We know that sometimes walking just needs to be a mind-clearing activity without a number attached to it and we get that! You pick your challenge and start anytime, don’t wait for the first of the month, or a Monday, or a new year. Start today!
You know already that we hike a lot but just walking around the neighborhood does wonders for me too when I can’t climb mountains. 😉 Since walking has been such a positive change in my life I wanted to challenge all of you to do the same thing. I didn’t want to have to wake up and run each morning or wake up and do something else high intensity. I just wanted to put on my shoes and walk – no pressure on speed or distance. I didn’t start this for any other reason than to clear my head.
You can print the chart below out in black and white and fill in the spots each day. Under the thoughts section, you can list how you feel before/after, what you thought about during your walk, really anything! I do my walks in the morning just because that’s when it fits in my schedule and it provides me with the opportunity to start the day off positive but you can walk at lunch, in the evening, or whenever you can squeeze it in. I hope this challenge brings you positivity, joy, and lots of good thoughts!
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL WALKING CHALLENGE
- If you are keeping track of time/mileage, make this challenge more difficult by timing yourself and try to beat your fastest time
- Beat boredom by adding in run/walk intervals, sprints, and/or hills, based on your fitness level
- Make your muscles work harder by walking outdoors and in the grass, trails, sand, etc. The uneven surfaces will make you stronger!
- I love listening to podcasts (this is the perfect opportunity for you to catch up on our WHAM Podcast!) while I walk.
- You could grab a friend or go solo. If you do take a friend don’t let it turn into a gossip session, this challenge is supposed to be the complete opposite!
PROPER WALKING FORM
- Heel to toe meaning your heel touches the ground first
- Stand tall and look about 10 feet in front of you
- Engage your core
This challenge was designed to be something that you do in addition to your normal workout (which is hopefully one of our workout plans!). We have 4, 6, and 12-week workout plans for all fitness levels! This is also totally customizable based on your fitness level, you walk as much or as little as you would like.
Looking for a printable version of this challenge? We’ve got you covered! Join our newsletter and you will be taken to a black and white printable version right away! Grab the printable challenge here.