We made this chicken for Thanksgiving and the entire family loved it! We don't actually like "traditional" Thanksgiving foods, so we served this with sweet-sweet potato cubes, balsamic garlic asparagus, and our fall cauliflower quinoa salad with raisins. Don't let the ingredients or steps fool you, it was actually pretty easy! Everything was simple and delicious!
This would be perfect for your next party or even just for your weekly food prep! We only had a little bit of leftover chicken but it was still fantastic the next day.
Clean Eat Recipe: Clean & Simple Roasted Chicken
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 2 oranges (recommended) or lemons
- 10-12 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1 onion
- 6 carrots
- 4-6 parsnips
- 4-6 red potatoes (optional)
- Nutiva Oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut onion, carrots, parsnips and potatoes into 1.5" - 2" chunks and place in bottom of roasting pan. Mix the vegetables with about 1/2 Tbsp of the Nutiva oil and toss with roughly 1/4 of the seasoning and additional salt and black pepper. Place sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme on top of the vegetables.
- Cut oranges (or lemons) into quarters and set aside until step #7.
- Remove chicken giblets and rinse chicken carefully while removing excess fat and pin feathers.
- Place chicken on oven roasting rack over vegetables and lightly brush the outside of the chicken with the Nutiva oil. Note - It is unnecessary to liberally coat the chicken in oil as the water from rinsing will help the seasoning rub bind to the skin.
- Liberally spread the seasoning on the inside and outside of the chicken.
- Stuff the oranges (or lemons) into chicken cavity.
- Place entire roasting pan in the oven and bake for 75-90 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165-degrees Fahrenheit.
- When chicken is complete, cover entire pan with aluminum foil for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to separate platter. Carve (or pull) chicken and enjoy!