I have to be honest - I don't usually make recipes from magazines or the internet anymore. I typically dream up my own, only glancing at the pictures and recipes elsewhere for inspiration. When I saw the November/December issue of Clean Eating Magazine, I couldn't help but try this casserole - it looked so amazingly delicious. And it is!
Be forewarned - it does take quite a bit of time to put together!
Clean Eating Mag's Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Nov/Dec Clean Eating Magazine, pg 35
- 2 skinless chicken breasts on bone (almost 2 lbs)
- 1 Tbsp safflower oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/8 tsp plus 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (include some seeds if you want some heat)
- 2 cups unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernals
- 1 1/2 c organic 2% milk
- 2 tsp potato starch
- olive oil cooking spray
- 12 6-in corn tortillas, quartered
- 6 oz organic, reduced-fat, Mexican cheese blend or half Jack cheese and half cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions or green onions thinly sliced
1. Poach chicken breasts by boiling water in a large saucepan. Once water is boiling, add chicken, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Let cook until chicken is no longer pink in the thickest part, approximately 20-25 minutes.
2. While chicken is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet (you will definitely want to use a large skillet), heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, 1/8 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and bell pepper is soft.
3. Add cumin, chile powder, and oregano. Stir to combine. Add garlic and jalapenos and cook until garlic softens, stirring frequently.
4. Add in tomatoes and corn and cook until heated thoroughly. This may take from 1 minute to 4 or 5 depending on fresh vs frozen corn used. Reduce heat to medium low.
5. Let chicken cool. Once cooled, chop or shred chicken into fine pieces.
6. In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp milk and potato starch until combined. Stir in remaining milk to combine. Add to skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Mixture will begin to thicken.
7. Add chicken and cook until heated thoroughly Add remaining sea salt and black pepper. Remove from heat.
8. Mist a casserole dish (I prefer ceramic) with olive oil cooking spray. Arrange half of the tortillas on the bottom of the dish as you would with lasagna noodles, overlapping slightly. Top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese. Add remaining tortillas in the same fashion, remaining chicken and cheese.
9. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes until heated throughout casserole. Allow casserole to rest for 5 minute prior to serving. Add scallions/green onions to top of casserole.
This is amazing! You will love it!
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.