What Thanksgiving celebration is complete without a little apple pie? Hold the ice cream and this clean treat will more than satisfy your cravings!
Eat Clean Apple Pie
Oxygen Magazine December 2012, pg 60
- 3 lbs tart, crisp baking apples
- 3 TBSP almond flour
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 TBSP light butter, unsalted, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix almond flour and salt in a food processor to blend. Add remaining ingredients and blend until a ball of dough is formed.
3. Press dough into a 9inch pie pan (or a cake pan in our case!) and cover with a wet cloth. Set aside.
4. Fill a large bowl with water and add 2 TBSP of lemon juice.
5. Core, peel and slice apples, placing in water to prevent browning of apples.
6. Once apples are soaking, drain water and pat apples dry with a clean cloth to absorb excess water and moisture.
7. Add remaining ingredients, including remaining lemon juice to the apples and toss to combine.
8. Remove wet cloth and pour apple mixture into pie crust. Bake for 45-55 minutes until crust is golden and mixtures is bubbling on top.
9. Remove from oven and let cool 1 hr before serving.