Let's face it, there's a tradeoff that you make when you follow a clean eating lifestyle. You trade the high costs of medical bills for the slight increase in your weekly/monthly grocery bill. A $10-20 spike in my bill to purchase whole, fresh foods is worth it than to spend $30 on a copay to see a doctor and an additional $20 in medications each month!
Just because you understand your new lifestyle may cost a little more doesn't mean that you have to settle for paying high grocery store prices! Here are a few tips to get you saving money on your grocery bill without even having to leave your house (saves on gas too!).
Amazon Prime - Have you heard about this service? It's an annual fee of $99, but it provides you with FREE, 2-day shipping on all Prime-Eligible (just make sure this option is checked when you are searching for items) purchases - most of the time, you will receive your item next day at no additional charge. Prime also includes FREE instant streaming of movies and TV shows, as well as 1 FREE Kindle book to "borrow" each month. You can get a one-month trial for FREE if you haven't had the service before!
$99 a little steep? No problem! Split the service with friend or two! Amazon also allows you to link multiple accounts to your Prime membership, with multiple addresses for shipping.
Now that you have that info, here are the items we save on each week/month:
- Bob's Red Mill Oat Flour:
- Know what you really need. I am not intolerant to gluten, so for me, I don't need to buy gluten-free oat flour; however, my grocer only has this type available and I end us buying it out of necessity.
- Amazon Price - $11.14/4 bags = $2.79 ea
- Or, use Amazon's subscribe and save feature and buy 4 bags for $10.58 = $2.65 ea
- Kroger Price (Gluten Free) - $5.49 ea
- Amazon's Price for Gluten Free (Auto Ship) - $ 21.01/4 = $5.25 ea
- Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour:
- Amazon Price - $36/4 bags = $9 ea
- Or, use Amazon's subscribe and save feature and buy 4 bags for $34.20 = $8.55 ea
- Kroger Price - $9.99 ea
- Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract:
- Amazon Price - $16.47/2 = $8.24 ea
- Or, use Amazon's subscribe and save feature and buy 2 containers for $15.65 = $7.83 ea
- Kroger Price - $8.79 ea
- Simply Organic Cinnamon:
- Amazon Price - $11.23/3 = $3.74 ea
- Or, use Amazon's subscribe and save feature and buy 3 containers for $10.67 = $3.55 ea
- Kroger Price - $4.29 ea
You name it, you can probably find it on Amazon. With the Prime account, it's not worth it NOT to take advantage of the savings that you can garner with making online purchases work for you!
What do you buy online that saves you money at the grocery store?
Here is our "Online Retailers" shopping list.