This abdominal workout is a great way to efficiently target the upper and lower abdominals as well as your obliques. The concept of the workout is to perform each rep with a partner providing variable resistance with a bar. This forces you to explode on the concentric (sitting up from the lying position) and resist on the eccentric portion (unloading back to a lying position from the sit up position). After you have performed the variable resistance repetitions, it's time to perform the reps again without the variable resistance. This is a killer ab workout that is sure to have you rolling out of bed the next morning!
Here's how to perform the "Combat Abs" workout along with a demonstration video from Whitney and her trainer, Anna Reed:
- Begin by resting your legs on a bench (thighs at a 45 degree angle with the ground) and have a partner sit on your legs so that you're locked into a stable starting position.
- Perform 5 to 10 reps of each of the following movements:
- Resisted sit up (partner resists as you perform concentric and eccentric phases of a sit up)
- Eccentric-resisted sit up (perform sit up and have partner push you back to the lying position, resisting as your partner pushes)
- Alternating left & right sit up (perform 5 to 10 reps (left and right) of sit up, reaching across body to the bar opposite of the hand you're reaching with and have partner push back on eccentric portion)
- High-reach sit up (perform sit ups and reach as high as you can, slapping partner's hands at the top)
- Alternating-reach sit ups (perform 5 to 10 (left and right) sit ups and reach across body to slap partner's hand)
- If you're feeling really strong, perform a front plank for 30 seconds as well as right and left side planks for 30 seconds on each side to really "feel the burn".
Remember, you could do this workout 1,000 times & still not have killer abs - ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN (so eat clean)!