My mother is from Louisiana, so she is Cajun. Being her daughter, she is especially hard on me when I veer off the course of the traditional ingredients for your typical Cajun dish, but oh well... this tastes phenomenal and is clean and healthy!
Clean Red Beans and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice (or my favorite, Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Wild and Brown Rice Blend - it's SO yummy!)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds (you can typically find a kielbasa in your natural foods section or natural foods store. If you can't find this, try the Bruce Aidells brand - it only has a few ingredients and is "all natural") To make Gluten Free, just add Gluten-Free Sausage!
- 3 cans of red beans, rinsed (you may substitute dried beans that are pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 c Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes.
2. In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
3. In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.
Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice and enjoy! Let me know how it turns out!