A favorite of Jim's and definitely a lasting clean eating, non processed alternative to those unhealthy (but yummy, I know!) yams we eat at Thanksgiving and Christmas chock full of maple syrup, sugar and marshmallows. This recipe is a great substitution for those calorie and sugar-rich concoctions. Take it over to the family meal... it's sure to please!
- 5 cups baked sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- slightly less than 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pecans, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash and wrap whole sweet potatoes (unpeeled) in individual foil pockets.
2. Once oven is heated, place sweet potatoes on wire oven rack or place on baking sheet and then place in oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until sweet potatoes are soft.
3. Remove sweet potatoes and baking sheet (if used) from oven. Allow potatoes to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Unwrap foil pockets and peel skin off of potatoes (this is optional if you prefer mashed potatoes with the skin - personally, I have not tried the recipe with the skin on.) PLEASE NOTE: Be especially careful due to the temperature of the potatoes and skins - you can get burned if not careful! Place peeled sweet potatoes in a large bowl or in a bowl of a stand mixer.
5. Add milk, agave nectar, cinnamon and nutmeg to bowl.
6. Mix using an electric mixer for approximately 3-5 minutes until all ingredients are combined and potatoes are fluffy. Add pecans if desired.
7. Using a shallow ceramic dish, transfer sweet potato mixture and place in oven to bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Garnish with additional pecans if desired.
Tip: Sweet potatoes taste great the next day! Just don't forget to refrigerate them!
- Calories - 153
- Protein - 3g
- Fat - 1g
- Carbs - 35g
Click here for another variation of the recipe!
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.