These pregnancy hormones have me craving some pretty interesting things! Good thing I'm not willing to give into temptation! On a whim, I whipped these up and I must say, they are one of my favorite recipes for a cinnamon roll that is actually CLEAN and GUILT FREE that I have tried yet!
Guilt Free Cinnamon Rolls
2.5 TBSP Coconut Oil (Softened - ~30 seconds in microwave)
1/3 c Stevia in the Raw
2.5 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 c Vanilla Protein Powder)
2 TBSP Stevia in the Raw
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
3 TBSP Coconut Oil (Softened ~30 seconds in microwave)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine ingredients for filling in a small bowl. Ingredients will form a grainy paste. Set aside.
3. Mix first 6 ingredients of dough in a medium size bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon (metal can also be used; however to save utensils, it may be easier to use a wooden spoon so you can continue using it for your dough). Once combined, slowly integrate the softened coconut oil into the mixture, stirring to combine. This should begin forming a dough. Once combined, add almond milk to complete dough, stirring and kneading with the wooden spoon. Form ball with dough.
4. Once dough is combined, place dough on a floured surface (can use either the oat flour or the whole wheat flour to protect your surface). Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/4" consistency. It is best to create as much of a rectangle/square as possible while doing this.
5. Spread 3/4 of your filling mixture over the top of the dough mixture. Be sure to coat all areas of dough. Roll up dough starting at one end - you may use a knife to help you if the dough is sticking to your floured surface.
6. Cut dough into 12 equal size pieces. Place each cinnamon roll (piece) in one section of a 12 muffin tin that has been sprayed with 100% pure olive oil (We use this mister). This will promote consistency while baking and avoid sticking. Using a spoon add the rest (1/4) of your filling mixture to the top of each cinnamon roll.
7. Bake for approximately 18-22 minutes depending on your desired consistency. Because the dough does not have yeast, it will be softest at 18 minutes vs. 22 minutes.
Mets: per cinnamon roll (you determine your serving size)
Calories - 134
Protein - 4g
Fats - 8g
Carbs - 13g
Sugars - 1g
The fat content is high - is that ok? Yep! Coconut oil is a good fat - don't go indulging in all 12 cinnamon rolls, but 2 would be the perfect portion size if you need a sweet treat in the morning, perhaps coupled with 1/4 c of unsweetened greek yogurt.
Why is there no icing? Quite frankly, I have tried about 4 different clean "icing" recipes and they just don't taste right. The rolls are sweet without the icing!
Enjoy our recipes? Get help with your grocery shopping here.