Here are 5 Things YOU Should Know about Grapefruit:
- Grapefruit just may help you kick your metabolism into gear and start burning stubborn fat cells. How you ask? Grapefruit contains flavenoids that help stabilize your blood sugar levels which help you to keep levels intact over greater periods of time and your body functioning at optimum capacity. (Need more to read on metabolism? Check this out!)
- Pink and Red Grapefruit has high levels of lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient. What's that you ask? Essentially, it fights cell damaging free radicals - a substance very important in preventing/shrinking tumors!
- Pectin, a soluble fiber source, found in Grapefruit can help lower cholesterol! Specifically, research has shown that Blonde and Pink Grapefruits lower LDLs (this it the cholesterol you don't want) while Red Grapefruit lowers triglycerides.
- Grapefruit can help your skin to look radiant! We have all seen the grapefruit soaps and lotions at the makeup counters and drug store aisles, but have you ever wondered why it works? Because of the lycopene and other nutrients and enzymes found in Grapefruit, you expose your skin to a wealth of damage-fighting power! This means that applied directly to the skin (or eaten regularly), you will see a radiance that you may have not noticed as the Grapefruit helps to repair your damaged skin, including pesky lines and wrinkles!
- Ask your doctor before adding grapefruit to your diet! Enzymes found Grapefruit can inhibit the proper absorption of some prescription medications. Do your research!
Do you have a favorite recipe using grapefruit? If so, email it to email@example.com and we will include it in a post next week! (We just need the recipe by 2/25/2013 if you would like it included - we will give you credit... not to worry!)