3-4 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 medium tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped onion (we use Vidalia/Sweet)
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp basil
1 Tbsp thyme
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp bay leaves
1. Mix all ingredients (not including the chicken breasts) together in a blender/food processor (must hold at least 5 cups) and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are mixed well.
2. Place blended pasta sauce in sauce pan and simmer on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until sauce takes on a thicker consistency and a dark shade of red.
3. Mix chicken breasts and pasta sauce in crock pot and cook on low heat for at least 7 hours.
4. After 7 hours, you will notice the sauce looks very runny, this is normal. Remove crock pot from heating base, shred chicken with a wooden spoon or spatula and as it cools, the shredded chicken will absorb the juices from the pasta sauce.
Macros (based on a 6 oz serving):
He & She Tips:
- I like to make my own pasta sauce at home so that I can avoid the added sugars and other unwanted ingredients. You can use the store-bought pasta sauce but try to avoid the brands with a lot of added sugar, preservatives, etc. Muir Glen is usually a pretty good choice if your store carries it.
- This recipe is very versatile so we sometimes add chopped zucchini, celery, red bell pepper, and sliced onion.
- We haven't tried it yet, but you can add some red wine to the sauce.
- You can simplify this recipe by adding 3-4 Tbsp of Italian seasoning rather most of the individual spices listed above...I just like to experiment with different ingredient amounts.
Enjoy and keep it clean!