I was super excited to try a recipe from an old favorite, Tosca Reno's 1st Cookbook, "Eat Clean Cookbook." It's a Ground Turkey Eggwhite Strata.
Eat Clean Egg Strata
Eat Clean Cookbook, Tosca Reno
1 lb lean ground turkey (the 97/3% variety)
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp sea salt, divided
9 egg whites + 3 whole eggs
Dash of Tabasco sauce (I left this out because I didn't have it - try it and let me know what you think!)
2 cups Skim Milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 loaf sourdough bread (Recipe calls for at least 16 slices - I only used 8). Make sure this bread does not contain high-fructose corn syrup. The best would be a whole wheat sourdough loaf if you can find it! Don't forget to remove the crust.
1 cup grated low-fat Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 small onion, peeled, chopped fine
1. Spray a lasagna pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet. Add lean ground turkey, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Cook meat until no longer pink, breaking up any large chunks of meat while cooking. Once meat is cooked, remove from skillet and pour into a fine mesh sieve to drain fat and liquid.
3. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, 1/2 tsp sea salt, Tabasco (optional), milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Using a wire whisk, beat egg mixture until frothy. set aside.
4. Time to assemble the strata! With crusts removed, place bread in the bottom of the pan, filling any space that may be left. Add 1/2 of the cooked lean ground turkey, 1/2 of the grated low-fat Monterrey Jack Cheese and 1/2 of the small chopped onion. Repeat the layering process, starting with the bread.
5. Once your two layers are complete, add the egg mixture by slowly pouring it over the layers in the lasagna pan. Cover loosely with tin foil and refrigerate overnight.
6. After refrigeration overnight, remove the tin foil from the strata. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once the oven is preheated, place the mixture in the oven for 60 minutes and bake to a golden brown. Allow the strata to sit for about 10 minutes to cool and thicken slightly.
Tip: Refrigerate the left overs and you will have breakfast for multiple days!
Servings - 8
Approximate Calories per Serving - 400 (depends on size of eggs and choice of bread)
It's amazing! You will not be disappointed! Check out Tosca's Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook for more great recipes.